I know, it’s been a while since blogging… took too long of a hiatus. At any rate, Cincinnati indie rock band Wussy has a new album out now — Attica! And they just swung through Portland. Here’s what they played…
Rainbows and Butterflies
Mountain of Tires
Gene I Dream
To The Lightning
Death by Misadventure
Yellow Cotton Dress
Don’t Leave Just Now (not on printed setlist)
My photos below…
Last night, I was invited to a beautiful outdoor house concert / potluck… The Littlest Birds played a long, entertaining set amidst the garden and kids running about. Check them out on the Facebook, and if you’re in the Eugene Oregon area, check out Bronak House Concerts and Events.
Oh, but wait… I said “potluck”… I had a hankering for something new, and decided to take a classic flavor combination and see if it’d work with a tried-and-true scone recipe. I made…
Fuji Apple and Aged
White Cheddar Scones
makes 8-10 regular sized scones
(I made a double batch and cut them smaller)
- 1 Fuji apple, cored & diced into small pieces
- 1 to 2 Tbls coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– – –
- 4 to 5 oz. aged white cheddar, diced into small pieces
– – –
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (split into 3/4 cup & 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar & cinnamon, mixed
- Sautée diced apple with the coconut oil until lightly brown (but still retain some firmness). Add cinnamon, stir and remove from heat. Cool the apples. If making the scones right away, place apples in the freezer for ~5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. When mixed, make a big hole in the middle of the mixture and add 3/4 cups of whipping cream.
- Before mixing the liquid in further, spread flour out on a clean surface (keep extra flour handy in a bowl, as the mixture will be sticky).
- Add the cooled apples and diced cheese to the dry & whipping cream mixture. Stir or mix with your hands until the mixture is crumbly. Turn the dough onto the floured surface and continue to knead. At this stage, I ended up adding more flour to make it more doughy and less gooey. Rather than alter the recipe and add more flour to the mix early on, I figured that it’s good to play it by feel/texture. It should be soft and malleable dough, not too sticky.
- Roll out the dough flat until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Cut with a pizza cutter, sharp spatula, or other tool into the shapes / sizes that suit you. Place on a lightly greased or parchment papered baking pan.
- Bake for 21-24 minutes until lightly golden. After baking, brush with remaining whipping cream and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mix. Cool slightly before serving.
Prep time: 30-45 minutes… best served warm or within the day!
And, obviously, different apple and cheese choices open this up to MANY different options at your fingertips.
This is a mainly music-based blog. If you stumbled in on a recipe search, check out my other recipes at THIS LINK.
David Bazan is off on another jaunt of a 40+ house concert tour. Last night’s show at the McKenzie Study Center at Gutenberg College wasn’t technically a “house,” but it still had that living room feel.
He showed up a tad late, but after quickly setting up, he entertained a few questions and then kicked into his set…
Setlist: about 75 minutes
- Q&A #1
- Hot Girls [Headphones]
- Fewer Broken Pieces
- Big Trucks [Pedro the Lion]
- Man In Me [Bob Dylan]
- Q&A #2
- “I write it down for what it’s worth” [new song, no title mentioned]
- Hard To Be
- Shit Talker [Headphones]
- Q&A #3
- Wolves At The Door
- Selling Advertising
- Of Minor Prophets and Their Prostitute Wives [Pedro the Lion]
- Q&A #4
- The Fleecing [Pedro the Lion]
- Cold Beer and Cigarettes
- Q&A #5
- Strange Negotiations
Some Bazan-related news…
1) His newest side-project Overseas is up for pre-order now. If you pre-order it, you get a download of the full album immediately. I got it a couple weeks ago, and I dig it. Overseas is David Bazan, Will Johnson, Matt Kadane and Bubba Kadane…. and in the 2nd Q&A I asked if they were going to tour. He said that they will likely do a limited set of dates: a few Texas dates, New York area dates, and then a limited West Coast run (LA, SF, Portland, Seattle).
2) On this tour, though he didn’t have them available last night, is a art print that comes with a download code for a Covers EP. He didn’t have them last night, but noted that we could buy it online (soon) without shipping fees. He should have them soon on some of the other dates on this tour. He mentioned the Bob Dylan cover, Radiohead’s “Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box,” and a few others will be included.
The Appropriate Linkage:
- David Bazan’s Site
- David Bazan’s Social Media Links (see below)
- My Other Related Reviews~
This was his second date of this tour… check out more tour dates below (sorry, many are already sold out).
Next show for me… Infected Mushroom at McDonald Theater (4/25).
David Bazan – Spring 2013 House Show Tour
04/23/13 Tue – Portland OR – SOLD OUT
04/24/13 Wed – Eugene OR – SOLD OUT
04/25/13 Thu – Redding CA
04/26/13 Fri – Sacramento CA – SOLD OUT
04/27/13 Sat – San Francisco CA – SOLD OUT
04/28/13 Sun – Hollister CA
04/29/13 Mon – OFF
04/30/13 Tue – Los Angeles CA – SOLD OUT
05/01/13 Wed – Costa Mesa CA – SOLD OUT
05/02/13 Thu – Riverside CA – SOLD OUT
05/03/13 Fri – San Diego CA – SOLD OUT
05/04/13 Sat – Tucson AZ – SOLD OUT
05/05/13 Sun – Phoenix AZ – SOLD OUT
05/06/13 Mon – OFF
05/07/13 Tue – Graham TX
05/08/13 Wed – San Antonio TX – SOLD OUT
05/09/13 Thu – Houston TX – SOLD OUT
05/10/13 Fri – Baton Rouge LA
05/11/13 Sat – New Orleans LA – SOLD OUT
05/12/13 Sun – OFF
05/13/13 Mon – Orlando FL – SOLD OUT
05/14/13 Tue – Jacksonville FL – SOLD OUT
05/15/13 Wed – Augusta GA – SOLD OUT
05/16/13 Thu – Atlanta GA – SOLD OUT
05/17/13 Fri – Columbus GA
05/18/13 Sat – Birmingham AL – SOLD OUT
05/19/13 Sun – Memphis TN
05/20/13 Mon – OFF
05/21/13 Tue – St Louis MO – SOLD OUT
05/22/13 Wed – Kansas City MO – SOLD OUT
05/23/13 Thu – Tulsa OK – SOLD OUT
05/24/13 Fri – Oklahoma City OK – SOLD OUT
05/25/13 Sat – Lubbock TX
05/26/13 Sun – Los Alamos NM
05/27/13 Mon – Prescott AZ
05/28/13 Tue – Las Vegas NV
05/29/13 Wed – OFF
05/30/13 Thu – Davis CA
05/31/13 Fri – Chico CA – SOLD OUT
06/01/13 Sat – Phoenix OR (Medford)
06/02/13 Sun – Portland OR – SOLD OUT
Sorry for the late announcement, as the deadline approaches… but…
Seeking photography that features live music performance, musicians, music festivals or concerts for exhibit in the Aperture Gallery located in the Erb Memorial Union at the University of Oregon.
The exhibit, which runs 5/8/2013 – 5/19/2013, will coincide with the Willamette Valley Music Festival May 11, 2013.
Please submit up to five (5) .jpg images, with original dimensions, for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4/25/2013.
Seeking independent album art and concert posters from west coast bands, promoters or venues from 1990 and later for an exhibit at the Buzz Coffeehouse Gallery in the Erb Memorial Union at the University of Oregon.
Please submit pdf or jpg images of posters, with original dimensions, to email@example.com by 4/25/2013
Accepted works will be reproduced and installed by the UO Cultural Forum during the Willamette Valley Music Festival May 11, 2013, in the Buzz Pub Stage Area.
The exhibit will run 5/10/2013 – 5/22/2013