REVIEW: Tomahawk @ Wonder Ballroom (Portland, OR – 2/13/13)
FYI… PHOTOS of the SHOW at the BOTTOM
Being a longtime Mike Patton fan, I got into Tomahawk right when the self-titled debut hit in 2001. Mike Patton stated early on that Tomahawk was led by Duane Denison (from The Jesus Lizard). It comes and goes at Duane’s pace. With that, Tomahawk has tended to change a fair bit from album to album. While Mit Gas (2003) was fairly similar to the debut in approach, the shape-shifting sound really caught me off-guard with their Native American-inspired third album – Anonymous (2007).
Their latest album, Oddfellows, hit two weeks ago. I’ve let it sink in a bit. It’s a bit more “straight-forward” rock than their prior albums. Still some Patton & Denison-isms thrown in to make it buck the normal rock trend. Overall, it’s a solid record and I’ve been warming up nicely to it, getting ready for the show.
Their official video for the song “Oddfellows” came out late last week. This is the one song on the album that I could see on the final Faith No More album (sandwiched in between Home Sick Home & Pristina perhaps)… it just has that “feel” to me…
Tomahawk hit the stage a bit later than expected… at about 10pm after a 45-minute loop of the “Tomahawk Chop” chant (think Atlanta Braves cheering section, but with no game). The band this go around is the previously mentioned Mike Patton on vocals/keys/sounds and Duane Denison on guitars with original Helmet drummer John Stanier and Mr. Bungle/Fantômas/Trio Convulsant/many more groups/NYC jazz bassist Trevor Dunn.
They played a great mix from their four records – showcasing the difference in the band’s catalog and the variety in Patton’s voice. As this was the start to the tour, they seemed amped to be out there. At one point during “God Hates A Coward,” Patton got a bit overzealous and yanked the cord out of his mic. He got us to help him out, and while that’s oddly not a song where the “crowd takes over” technique would seem to fit, we worked through the technical difficulty well.
Setlist: about 90 minutes
- 101 North
- Stone Letter
- Rape This Day
- Baby Let’s Play ____
- Capt. Midnight
- White Hats / Black Hats
- God Hates a Coward
- South Paw
- Point and Click
- Encore 1: Totem
- Stalkin’ [Duane Eddy]
- *Encore 2: Pay To Cum [Bad Brains]
- Just One More [George Jones]
*per FB & Setlist.fm commenters
Apparently they came back on after the 1st encore. The house lights had already come on, and I was out the door before I heard anything; alas, I missed the 2nd encore. Damn! I’m still stoked to have gotten to see them live – it had been far too long!
many more photos below
The Appropriate Linkage:
- Tomahawk’s Site (Ipecac Records)
- Tomahawk’s Social Media Links (see below)
- Retox’s Site / Facebook
- Other Related Reviews~
- Wonder Ballroom’s Site / Facebook / Twitter
This was only the second date of the West Coast U.S. Tour; so definitely check out more tour dates below. They’re hitting Australia after the U.S. West Coast and then hitting the rest of the U.S. hopefully later in the year.
Next show for me… two shows at the PDX Jazz Fest next weekend in Portland (Steve Kuhn Trio & Steven Bernstein’s Sex Mob).
all pictures (cc) 2013 Daniel Temmesfeld,
you may use freely under a creative commons attribution
(click for larger)
Tomahawk – West Coast & Australia 2013 Tour
- 2/12 Seattle, WA Showbox at the Market
- 2/13 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom
- 2/15 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
- 2/16 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
- 2/17 Santa Ana, CA The Observatory
- 2/19 Los Angeles, CA The Mayan
- 2/23 Brisbane, AUS RNA Showgrounds
- 2/24 Sydney, AUS Olympic Park
- 2/26 Sydney, AUS Metro Theatre
- 2/27 Melbourne, AUS Billboard the Venue
- 3/1 Melbourne, AUS Flemington Racecourse
- 3/2 Adelaide, AUS Bonython Park
- 3/4 Perth, AUS Claremont Showground
- 3/30 Sao Paolo, BR Lollapalooza Brazil
- 4/2 Buenos Aires, AR Malvinas Argentinas Stadium
- 4/4 Santiago, CH Teatro La Cupula del Parque O’Higgins
- 4/6 Santiago, CH Lollapalooza Chile
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
search this blog…
- Art (56)
- Food (74)
- Humor (98)
- Misc (24)
- Movies & Television (73)
- Music (1,133)
- News (19)
- Philosophy (7)
- Places (5)
punches in the mouf?
- 605,233 visitors thus far
This blog and concert photos therein are licensed under a Creative Commons License. Available with Attribution for Non-Commercial, Non-Derivative Use.