Glen Phillips (from Toad the Wet Sprocket & Works Progress Administration) has been doing what he calls “Sofa Sundays” on Stageit.com for a couple months now. I didn’t know what it was all about until the last one (after it happened). He sits down in his living room and plays (at least) 30 minutes of music directly to his computer-connected audience. His shows thus far have cost only $3, and you can pay more (in tips) – but it’s limited to the first 250 people who buy tickets. You can make requests and also chat with others in “attendance.” Here’s what he played…
11/27/11 Setlist: ~50 minutes
- Train Wreck
- Nanci [Toad the Wet Sprocket]
- The Next Day
- Back On My Feet
- I Still Love You
- Cry For You [WPA]
- I Will Not Take These Things For Granted [Toad]
- Don’t Need Anything [fast version]
- Rainbow Connection/I’m Going To Go Back There Someday [teasers only]
- End This Now
- Good Intentions [Toad]
- Redemption Song [Bob Marley]
Easily the best $3 plus tip I’ve ever spent for live music. From here on out, if I’m around, I’m IN. He mentioned after “Train Wreck” in response to some requests, that he’ll do a show in the near future that’s more request oriented on songs that he doesn’t necessarily know off hand (i.e.- he’ll practice).
Stay tuned… the next Sofa Sunday might even be next week!
The Appropriate Linkage:
- Glen’s Site
- Glen’s Facebook / Twitter
- Toad the Wet Sprocket’s Site / Facebook
- Glen’s Stageit page
- My Prior Related Reviews~
If you came here for the U2 Seattle review, GO HERE.
One a month, from March to December 2011…
Derek Webb’s Democracy Vol 2… This month, it is “God Only Knows” by The Beach Boys. I generally hate/hate/hate this song… I blame Jonatha Brooke & Jars of Clay’s more schmaltzy versions. I’m digging Derek’s more layered version.
For those not in the know, Democracy Vol 2 is a continuation of the covers project Derek started last year. The fans get to nominate songs and then vote once the nominations are tallied. Here’s what he’s done in 2010 and 2011 to date (you can still go back and buy this volume):
- January 2010: The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- February: Coldplay – Fix You
- March: Bob Dylan – The Times They Are A-Changin’
- April: Gnarls Barkley – Who’s Gonna Save My Soul
- May: Sufjan Stevens – Chicago *a personal fave*
- June: U2 – Where the Streets Have No Name
- July: Huey Lewis & the News – Power of Love
- August: The Beatles – Eleanor Rigby *a personal fave*
- September: Simon & Garfunkel – The Sound of Silence
- October: Radiohead – Karma Police *a personal fave*
- November: Leonard Cohen – Hallelujah
- December: Robert Robinson – Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
- January 2011: off
- February: off
- March: Cee-Lo Green – F**k You
- April: Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer
- May: The Beach Boys – God Only Knows
Also, Derek & his wife Sandra McCracken are hitting the road in the Fall for a house concert / living room show tour for their upcoming TN EP. GO HERE if you can host.
Democracy Vol. 2 is a series of subscription based albums of cover songs that Derek will be recording annually, starting January 2010. Those who participate will not only receive the exclusive album, but will democratically decide what songs Derek will record.
Ever wished you could hear Derek cover your favorite Beatles song? Or Backstreet Boys song? Or even re-record your favorite old Caedmon’s Call song? Here’s your chance. Songs will be nominated and voted down to 10. Derek will record them (demo quality) and deliver them digitally (320kbps MP3s), one song per month for 10 months (March to December). Don’t miss your chance to be part of this unique collaborative project with Derek Webb!