REVIEW: Cellophoria @ House Concert (Creswell, OR – 12/18/11)
House concerts are the best… especially when your $$ goes straight to the artists and you get a smorgasbord of awesome food! Super thanks to hosts Jenny & Mike (same place I co-hosted the Peter Mulvey show last month)!
Last afternoon’s show was by Cellophoria – a cello quartet made up of Eugene Symphony musicians. Dale Bradley, Jeffrey Eaton, Ann Grabe, and Anne Ridlington all play with the Eugene Symphony. They also have vast non-ES experience with the Eugene Opera Orchestra, Oregon Mozart Players, the OSU/Corvallis Symphony, Oregon Bach Festival and many varied teaching and playing opportunities. They obviously keep busy, which made their ability and willingness to set aside a foggy afternoon for us into a true treat!
Their gorgeous set in a gorgeous setting…
Setlist: about an hour
- Slavic Dance [Dale Bradley]
- Prelude in E Minor, Op. 28, No. 4 [Frederic Chopin, arr. Laszlo Varga]
- Four Scottish & Irish Tunes [arr. Dale Bradley]
….Arran Boat Song
….Road to Lisdoonvarna
….Star of the County Down
….Skye Boat Song
- Every Breath You Take [Sting, arr. John Reed]
- Ashokan Farewell [Jay Ungar, arr. David Faulkner]
- Gagliarda del Principe di Venosa [Carlo Gesualdo, arr. Árpád Pejtsik]
- Chaconne from Partita No. 2 in D Minor For Unaccompanied Violin, BWV 1004 [J.S. Bach, arr. Laszlo Varga]
- Bagatelle No. 5 from Bagatelles for 2 Violins, Cello and Harmonium, Op. 47 [Antonin Dvorák, arr. Rosalynn Heuer]
- Generations [Dale Bradley]
- Eleanor Rigby [Lennon/McCartney, arr. B. Lanier]
- All Through the Night [arr. Dale Bradley]
The sound in the high, vaulted wood ceiling living room was superb. Full from good food and good music, it was a splendid late Fall/lazy Sunday afternoon.
That was presumably my last show of the year (unless something pops up between now and 12/30). 2011 year-end concert and album “best of” recaps coming up soon. Next show for me… Pojama People play the music of Frank Zappa with FZ vocalist Ike Willis at Sam Bond’s on 1/7.