Home > Food > local pizza

local pizza

16th Aug 08 (Sat) Leave a comment Go to comments

Eugene has some great local pizza places… Mezza Luna, Cozmic, Pegasus, La Perla (presumably, I haven’t had it yet*), etc. One of our favorites is the Pizza Research Institute (aka PRI). It’s wild and crazy, they put crazy toppings on it (potatoes, corn, pears, cinnamon, eggplant, and much more (they have a periodic table of toppings on their menu). They don’t use meat in anything… not that you’d miss it. They always have several chef’s specials every day (one veg, one vegan)…

*– see comment #8

this picture from their webpage doesn’t do it justice

Well, PETA recent ranked their Top 10 Vegan-friendly Pizzerias in the US, and PRI is #5… woot.

5.The Pizza Research Institute: Eugene, Oregon
Don’t be fooled by the name! This restaurant is much hipper than the words “research institute” imply. However, with all the one-of-a-kind pizzas on the menu, you would think that there really was a staff of food scientists in the kitchen. One standout is the 3P—pears, potato, and pineapple.

Oddly enough a Cincinnati place got on the list, too… however, I’ve never heard of it – – Mac’s Pizza Pub (we spent too much time at Dewey’s).

My review of last night’s Nellie McKay at Portland’s Doug Fir Lounge show to be posted later today or maybe tomorrow…

~Dan – np: Steuart Liebig & Tee-Tot QuartetAlways Outnumbered

1. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 9:12 am

Dude, I love the bagina, er, I mean pizza.

2. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 9:26 am

Yeah, remember when I misunderstood an email from you thinking you were a vegetarian when we came out to visit? :)

Sidenote: I will have you know that when I was at CU to meet with profs to get letters of recommendation for the PhD program, they took me to lunch… at Chuck’s. New building… Chuck had a vegetarian buffet area as well. Crazy.

3. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 6:51 pm

Have you ever eaten at Pegasus Pizza????

4. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 8:18 pm

Oh, yeah, it’s good, too… :)
    Added to list above…
    See? We have lots of good pizza in Eugene.

~Dan

5. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 8:55 pm

Lots of good pizza in Eugene, yes. Great pizza, no. *sigh* Mezza Luna comes close in my book, but no one west of the Mississippi can even come close to about 50 pizza joints in Chicagoland. Yes, pizza joints, cause “dats what wheez callz dem.”

6. 16th Aug 08 (Sat) at 10:09 pm

Eh, Chicago pizza’s too thick for me.

I dig PRI & Mezza Luna a bunch. Dewey’s (in Cincinnati) is still likely my favorite pizza in the U.S.

Have you tried La Perla yet? I know you were raving about wanting to try it before it opened… did it live up to your expectations?

~Dan

7. 17th Aug 08 (Sun) at 5:28 pm

Chicago THIN is the original Chitown style. That deep dish crap, while invented in the mid 40’s, was only one style of pie that Chicago is famous for. I am not a fan of the deep dish either. La Perla has not made it to my stomach yet… mmmm “I thinks weed be eatin out dis week at dat new pizza joint.”

8. 17th Aug 08 (Sun) at 9:15 pm

We ate at La Perla tonight… yummy. And quick service, too…

9. 17th Aug 08 (Sun) at 11:11 pm

Wow. I never thought I’d be mistaken for a vegetarian. I must have said something really stupid to give you that impression. Of course, I’ve wiped the incident from my data banks and replaced it with memories of my wonderful vacation on Mars.

10. 18th Aug 08 (Mon) at 6:13 am