RECIPE: Bleu Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
I’m late on posting this… too busy at work. For last month’s vegetarian supper club in Eugene, we did a snowshoe trip; so the goal was to make something yummy that was also transportable. I opted for…
Bleu Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
makes about 8 biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into smaller cubes
- 1 cup crumbled bleu cheese
(you could possibly find a vegan blue cheese variety, but that might be tough)
- 1 Tbl chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbl chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup buttermilk (for vegan… see comments section)
- 1 Tbl milk/soy milk/rice milk/etc
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Add shortening. using fingertips, rub in until coarse crumbs form.
- Mix in 3/4 cup cheese, rosemary and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme.
- Make well in center. Add 1 cup buttermilk and stir until dough forms, gradually mixing in dry ingredients.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead gently until combined, about 5 turns. Pat dough into 1-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into squares.
- Transfer squares to baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon milk/soymilk/ricemilk. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Sprinkle with pepper. The biscuits can be prepared 4 hours ahead, just cover & chill until ready to bake.
- Bake biscuits until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature… or in a warming hut at Gold Lake, Oregon.
This is a mainly music-based blog. If you stumbled in on a recipe search, check out my other recipes at THIS LINK.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
search this blog…
- Art (56)
- Food (74)
- Humor (98)
- Misc (24)
- Movies & Television (73)
- Music (1,134)
- News (19)
- Philosophy (7)
- Places (5)
punches in the mouf?
- 607,839 visitors thus far
This blog and concert photos therein are licensed under a Creative Commons License. Available with Attribution for Non-Commercial, Non-Derivative Use.