RECIPE: Creamy Vegan Chocolate Pudding
Vegan Chocolate Pudding
(photo courtesy of foodgawker)
This weekend will be a double-whammy recipe post (cute olive penguins this evening). Yesterday I made homemade vegan chocolate pudding for today’s Vegetarian Supper Club in Eugene, OR. It wasn’t too hard… and my taste test last night was delicious. It is adapted from the January 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times. (They also used instant decaf coffee as an ingredient).
makes four 6 oz. servings
- 2 cups plain soy milk/rice milk/coconut milk, divided
- 2 Tbl cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips if not strictly vegan)
- 3 Tbl sugar
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together 1/2 cup soymilk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 1.5 cups soymilk, cocoa, chocolate chips, sugar, and nutmeg into a large saucepan. Warm over medium heat until chocolate chips have melted.
- Whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until pudding thickens* and begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Divide pudding among 4 custard cups and chill well before serving.
*NOTE: If you double the recipe (or quadruple, like I did), you need to heat it longer… it took mine about 40 minutes instead of the above prescribed 10 minutes… you don’t want to apply extra heat to do it quicker… it may not thicken properly/consistently.
Info for the dieters… each serving is approximately 150 calories, 5 grams of protein, 5 grams fat, and 25 grams carbs. I kept my version to 5 ingredients (for a challenge imposed by the dinner theme) and used sweetened dark chocolate chips and didn’t add the extra sugar, not much different outcome in flavor or consistency.
This is a mainly music-based blog. If you stumbled in on a recipe search, check out my other recipes, like vegan biscuits & gravy, spiced biscotti, vegan cactus chili, vegan bananas foster, mushroom dumpling stew, strawberry cornbread muffins, fruit spring rolls, grilled coconut-rum pineapple, vegetarian s’mores pouches, and pumpkin-infused vodka cocktail at THIS LINK.