REVIEW: Mankind & Kari Spohn @ Wandering Goat (Eugene, OR – 4/29/11)
On Friday, Eugene photographer Kari Spohn and Eugene “post-something” band Mankind hit the Wandering Goat with two very different artistic openings. Kari’s black & white photography was throughout the coffee shop… her opening starting at 5:30pm. I dig her work – very “beauty in the everyday” and nice use of lines in concrete and steel in my opinion.
Mankind is a great find for post-rock fans in Eugene. They played a fairly tight set of some fantastical heavy instrumental music that sucks you in. Mankind is James Madson on bass, Joe Harvey & John Hurd on guitars and Courtney Stubbert on drums. For fans of Explosions in the Sky, think a touch heavier. “Explosions in the Isis” perhaps. Definitely recommended for fans of Explosions, Isis, Mogwai, et cetera. And I’m glad Mankind are in Eugene. I look forward to seeing them play a show where they can stretch their legs – the Goat’s stage is a bit small!
And don’t worry… the sonic takeover of the art opening wasn’t intended as a clash. It was a compliment to the photography (Kari and Mankind are kindreds).
Over at Bandcamp, you can download (for free) the first batch of demos from Mankind. You won’t be disappointed:
The Appropriate Linkage:
- Mankind’s Site
- Mankind’s Social Media Links (see below)
- Kari Spohn’s Flickr / Twitter
- Wandering Goat’s Site / Facebook / Twitter
Next show for me… possibly Tin Hat at the Mission Theater (Portland) on 5/19 or Blackfield at Aladdin (Portland) on 6/1. Or, I assume some other stuff will pop-up in May…
Breaking news as I was writing this review up… Barack Obama announced that a special force killed Osama bin Laden! Mission Accomplished (for real this time)! I’m not celebrating the death, but rather the justice.
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
search this blog…
- Art (56)
- Food (74)
- Humor (98)
- Misc (24)
- Movies & Television (73)
- Music (1,132)
- News (19)
- Philosophy (7)
- Places (5)
- RECIPE: Vegan Biscuits & Gravy
- REVIEW: Zoë Jakes & Beats Antique @ Faerieworlds (Mt. Pisgah, OR - 7/31/09)
- REVIEW: John Zorn at 60 @ Walker Art Center & St. Mark's (Minneapolis, MN - 4/6/13)
- Death Pop Club: pop stars meet heavy metal logos
- MINI-REVIEW: Gonzalo Bergara Quartet @ house concert (Eugene, OR - 10/23/11)
- Kevin Moore's "Shine" artwork
punches in the mouf?
- 597,757 visitors thus far
This blog and concert photos therein are licensed under a Creative Commons License. Available with Attribution for Non-Commercial, Non-Derivative Use.